At URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, we create experiences that allow our campers and now teens to grow through science inquiry, Jewish discovery, leadership, and fun. Our Machon Teen Leadership program, which means “Foundation” as well as “Institute,” gives our teens the opportunity to build community, teach, and become effective leaders and change agents at camp, in STEM, and beyond.
The program’s goals are to create opportunities for personal and professional growth, provide hands-on leadership experience and STEM education skill-building, to give back to the 6 Points Sci-Tech community as a leader and role model, and to impact camp in a meaningful way, all while adding depth to their resumes and completing community service hours.
There are three main areas of focus: training, leadership, and innovation.
Elements of the Machon Program
- Jewish Leadership: Machonikim (participants in the Machon program) will meet with staff and educational faculty to explore essential questions in Judaism and wrestle with the connections that can be found between Judaism and STEM. Teens will also gain a deeper understanding of the URJ's mission of creating a more whole, just, and compassionate world through science and technology.
- Learning from Jewish and STEM innovators: Each summer we have leadership staff, faculty, and special guests who bring a wealth of knowledge in science, Judaism, and innovation to our community. Machonikim will have special opportunities to meet with these leaders and learn about their unique knowledge-base and skillsets. These guests along with our staff will help guide our teens to understand the opportunities in STEM, as they think about their next steps beyond their high school years. As part of the program, teens will also be guided to think about how to use their camp experience to demonstrate skills on a college resume or application.
- Training in community building: Machonikim will live in halls with younger campers and learn from our counselors how to build community in a small-group setting. They will learn about a wide variety of community-building topics including homesickness, inclusion, how to identify and prevent bullying, the development of camper listening skills, and health and safety.
- Hands-on leadership experience and opportunities to lead programming and lessons, build relationships, and serve as role models for younger campers as junior counselors and teen leaders.
- Training in teaching skills: Machonikim will learn to write a camp program or lesson plan, assist in workshops and chugim, and lead both small and large group activities. They will work closely with our counselors, instructors, and leadership team who will support and mentor them through this process.
East: Program Info & Dates
Program Dates: June 27 - July 25 (with the option to extend until August 8).
Tuition: Available on our Dates & Rates page.
Eligibility: Participants must be entering 12th grade in the Fall of 2021.
Application Timeline: Applications are due (including references) on January 15th, 2021!
How the Machon Application is Different Than A Typical Camper Application: The Machon Teen Leadership Program is a full summer-long values-based leadership development program for rising high school seniors. It is a completely different camp experience than that of a camper and is designed for hardworking individuals looking to challenge themselves and actively engage in their own growth within a Jewish STEM context. As a leadership experience, the Machon application is more in-depth than a typical camper application and requires active participation from the Machon applicant. The application process consists of two parts:
- Submitting an online application to URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy along with the $500 program deposit, and
- Submitting the complete application packet, which can be found in the "Forms & Documents" page of your CampInTouch account (available when you submit the online application). The application packet consists of reflection questions, references, and forms.
Questions/Moving forward: If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please email email@example.com or call our offices at (857) 246-8677.