At URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, we create experiences that allow our campers and now teens to grow through science inquiry, Jewish discovery, leadership, and fun. Machon means “Foundation” as well as “Institute,” giving our teens the opportunity to facilitate community building, teach, and become effective leaders and change agents in the camp community, in STEM, and beyond.
The Machon Summer Leadership Institute is a summer-long intensive values-based leadership development internship for rising high school seniors. It is a completely different camp experience than that of a camper. It is designed for hardworking individuals looking to challenge themselves and actively engage in their own growth within a Jewish STEM context. It is designed to offer a fun summer-camp experience while teaching life lessons about leadership, community building, education, personal responsibility, STEM, and Jewish values. The program’s goals are to create opportunities for personal and professional growth, provide hands-on experience in leadership and skill-building in STEM education, to have a positive and rewarding summer, to give back to the 6 Points Sci-Tech community as a community leader, and to impact camp in a meaningful way while adding depth to their resumes and completing community service hours.
There are three main areas of focus: training, leadership, and innovation.
Elements of the Machon Program
- Jewish Leadership: Machonikim will meet with staff and educational faculty to explore essential questions in Judaism and wrestle with the connections that can be found between science and Judaism. Teens will also gain a deeper understanding of social issues in science and technology, and our commitment as Jews to Tikkun Olam, repairing the world.
- Learning from Jewish and STEM innovators: Each summer we have leadership staff, faculty, and special guests who bring a wealth of knowledge in science, Judaism and innovation to our community. Machonikim will have special opportunities to meet with these leaders and learn about their unique knowledge-base and skillsets. These guests along with our staff will help guide our teens to understand the opportunities in STEM, as they think about their next steps beyond their high school years. As part of the program, teens will also be guided to think about how to use their camp experience to demonstrate skills on a college resume or application.
- Training in community building: Machonikim (participants in the Machon program) will live in halls with younger campers and learn from our counselors how to build community in a small-group setting. They will learn about a wide variety of community-building topics including homesickness, inclusion, how to identify and prevent bullying, the development of camper listening skills, and health and safety.
- Hands-on leadership experience and opportunities to lead programming and lessons, build relationships and serve as role models for younger campers as junior counselors and teen leaders.
- Training in teaching skills: Machonikim will learn to write a camp program or lesson plan, assist in workshops and chugim, and lead both small and large group activities. They will work closely with our counselors, instructors, and leadership team who will support and mentor them through this process.
East: Program Info & Dates
Program Dates: June 27 - July 25 (with the option to extend until August 8).
Tuition: Available on our Dates & Rates page.
Eligibility: Participants must be entering 12th grade in the Fall of 2021.
Application Timeline: Application for Summer 2021 will be opening in mid-December 2020. The application deadline will be Jan 10, 2021.
Questions/Moving forward: If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our offices at (857) 246-8677.