The Governor’s Academy
6 Points Sci-Tech Academy operates on the campus of The Governor’s Academy, the country’s oldest continuously-operating boarding school, located in Byfield, Massachusetts, about 45 minutes north of Boston. It’s so historic, that its first school seal was designed by Paul Revere! The Governor’s Academy’s commitment to education, ideal location, and superb facilities make it the perfect place to operate a science and technology summer camp for children. Accompanying many acres of wetlands and woods, the campus’s buildings are all within a few minutes’ walk of each other, creating an environment that is both safe and accessible for children of all ages.
Facilities at Governor’s include:
- Modern dorms with bathrooms on each hall
- Well-equipped science laboratories
- State-of-the-art computer and media labs
- A brand new, air-conditioned dining hall
- The Frost Building and the French Student Center – large indoor programming spaces for services, song sessions, and other activities
- Two indoor gyms, and numerous outdoor playing fields
- An indoor hockey rink, perfect for large programs during the summer
- 500-seat performing arts center with a digital music studio
- Fully-wired (and wireless) library
- Numerous hiking trails and wetlands
The campus is also located about 4 miles from the ocean at Plum Island and 5 miles from the historic town of Newburyport right outside of Boston’s technology corridor.
Campers and staff live in dorms and are grouped into “halls” based on age and gender. Dorm buildings are identified as either being a “boys” or “girls” dorm. Transgender campers or staff members are housed in the space that affirms their gender identity and non-binary campers and staff are given the choice of living where they are most comfortable. Counselors live on each hall to supervise, mentor and engage their campers throughout the day, both when in the dorm and when at activities.
All campers are assigned to rooms of two, three, or four, depending on the room configuration for each dorm, and camper requests.
Campers clean their personal living space, with the help of their counselors, each morning. Professional cleaning crews will clean public areas (such as bathrooms and hallways) on a regular basis throughout the week. Laundry service is provided once in the middle of each session (and again during inter-sessions for campers staying multiple sessions).
The food service is provided by the professional year-round dining services department at The Governor’s Academy. We work closely with the dining services director to build menus that are nutritious, age-appropriate, and delicious! All meals are served buffet-style, except Friday night dinner, which is family-style. Counselors eat at tables with campers to help build a sense of community and camaraderie over meals and to help make sure that campers are getting the food they need to energize their days! Take a look at our sustainability initiatives and locally-sourced food options!
French toast Veggie sausage patties Pancakes Turkey sausage Available each day:
Scrambled and hard-boiled eggs Yogurt and fruit bar Fresh bagels Cold cereals Muffin selection
Cheese Ravioli Chicken Fingers Ginger soy tofu Falafel Available each day:
Grilled chicken breast Hamburger and hot dog Pasta bar Salad Bar Deli Sandwich Bar Pizza
Beef fajitas Herb-roasted chicken Stuffed shells Baked Pacific cod Available each day:
Pasta bar Salad Bar Deli Sandwich Bar
- vegetarian and vegan diets
- gluten allergy/wheat intolerance
- lactose intolerance
- peanut/tree nut allergies
- fish allergies
We are able to accommodate most dietary needs – if your camper’s needs are not listed here, please do not hesitate to reach out!
- Snacks being used as a meal substitute, resulting in a lack of nutrition needed for a busy, active day at camp.
- Food and crumbs in the dorm and common areas leading to problems with cleanliness, bugs, and insects.
- Sugary snacks and caffeinated beverages affecting camper sleep schedules.
In addition to the three daily meals, campers are also given an afternoon snack. Fresh fruit is also always available in the dining hall throughout the day. Please know that we take your camper’s health very seriously and will actively work to ensure that they are well fed! If your camper requires special food or eating schedules, please contact us so we can try to accommodate you.