The Governor’s Academy
6 Points Sci-Tech Academy operates on the campus of The Governor’s Academy, the country’s oldest continuously-operating boarding school, located in Byfield, Massachusetts, about 45 minutes north of Boston. The Governor’s Academy’s commitment to education, ideal location, and superb facilities make it the perfect place to operate a science and technology summer camp for children. Accompanying many acres of wetlands and woods, the campus’s buildings are all within a few minutes’ walk of each other, creating an environment that is both safe and accessible for children of all ages.
Facilities at Governor’s include:
- Modern dorms with bathrooms on each hall
- Well-equipped science laboratories
- State-of-the-art computer and media labs
- Brand new, air-conditioned dining hall
- The Frost Building and the French Student Center – large indoor programming spaces for services, song sessions, and other activities
- Two indoor gyms, and numerous outdoor playing fields
- An indoor hockey rink, perfect for large programs
- 500-seat performing arts center with digital music studio
- Fully-wired (and wireless) library with over 30,000 volumes
- Numerous hiking trails and wetlands
The campus is also located about 4 miles from the ocean at Plum Island, and 5 miles from the historic town of Newburyport.
Campers are grouped into “halls” based on age and gender. These halls become the groups with which the campers will interact for most of the session (similar to a bunk or cabin at traditional camp). Counselors live on each hall to supervise, mentor and engage their campers throughout the day, both when in the dorm and when at activities.
All campers are assigned to rooms of two, three or four, depending on the room configuration of each dorm, and camper requests. Male and female campers live in separate dorm buildings.
Campers clean their personal living space, with the help of their counselors, each morning. Professional cleaning crews will clean public areas (such as bathrooms and hallways) on a regular basis throughout the week. Laundry service is provided once in the middle of each session (and again during inter-sessions for campers staying multiple sessions).
The Governor’s Academy is the oldest continuously-operating boarding school in the United States. Its first school seal was designed by Paul Revere.