In celebration of the upcoming Pi Day (March 14, 3.14), take a look at some of our favorite parts of Sci-Tech and Pi-ticipate in our Pi Day scholarship fundraiser.
What is Pi Day, you might ask?
Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π (Pi). Pi Day is observed on March 14 (3/14 in the month/day /date format) since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant digits of π.
Why celebrate Pi Day?
Pi Day is foremost a celebration of mathematics and a recognition of the importance of STEM studies in today’s world. But it is more than just math. Did you know that within the digits of Pi are a history of the Jewish people? It’s true! For example:
- The number Chai (18) is first found at the 424th digit of Pi.
- The number of mitzvot in the Torah (613) is first found at the 970th digit of Pi.
- The year of the founding of Israel (1948) is found at the 24,868th digit of Pi.
How can you help celebrate Pi Day?
- Learn about Pi(e): Throughout the week leading up to Pi Day, member of the Sci-Tech community will be sharing 7 slices of pi(e) knowledge
- Contribute to the Sci-Tech Pi(e): Donate to the Sci-Tech Scholarship Fund.
Goal 1: Help us reach our goal of $3,141 and watch Jayme get pi-ed in the face.
Goal 2: Give a double helping of Pi and help us reach our goal of $6,282 by 7pm on Pi Day to watch a Boker Big Bang live on social media.
- Follow us on social media: @URJSciTechEast for Pi Day fun leading up to March 14 (3.14)
Give the Gift of Camp – Your Gift Will Be Matched this Pi Day!
As part of our Pi Day celebration, donate to our Sci-Tech scholarship fund. In the past three years, with the generosity and support of our Sci-Tech community, we were able to provide over $50,000 in scholarships to our campers. This year, with our camper enrollment already exceeding last summer’s enrollment, our requests for scholarships are greater than last year.
Your donations on Pi Day will go twice as far! Through the grant of a generous benefactor, all donations are being matched dollar-for-dollar through March 31st (up to $10,000). We need your help to make sure we receive every dollar of the matching funds! On this Pi Day, please consider making your donation of your favorite multiple of Pi!