At URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, we create experiences that allow our campers and now teens to grow through science inquiry, Jewish discovery, leadership and fun. Machon means “Foundation” as well as “Institute,” giving our teens the opportunity to gain the necessary skills to become staff members who can facilitate, teach, and be effective leaders in the camp community and beyond.
Our Machon Leadership Program is for teens entering 12th grade and is designed to offer a fun summer-camp experience while teaching life lessons about leadership, personal responsibility, science, technology, and Jewish values. The program’s goals are to create opportunities for personal and professional growth, provide hands-on experience in leadership and STEM skill-building, to have a positive and rewarding summer, to give back to the 6 Points Sci-Tech community as a community leader, and to impact camp in a meaningful way. The Machon Leadership program’s focus will be in three main areas: training, leadership, and innovation.
Elements of the Machon Program
- Jewish Leadership: Machonikim will meet with staff and educational faculty to explore essential questions in Judaism and wrestle with the connections that can be found between science and Judaism. Teens will also gain a deeper understanding of social issues in science and technology, and our commitment as Jews to Tikkun Olam, repairing the world.
- Learning from Jewish and STEM innovators: Each summer we have leadership staff, faculty, and special guests who bring a wealth of knowledge in science, Judaism and innovation to our community. Machonikim will have special opportunities to meet with these leaders and learn about their unique knowledge-base and skillsets. These guests along with our staff will help guide our teens to understand the opportunities in STEM, as they think about their next steps beyond their high school years. As part of the program, teens will also be guided to think about how to use their camp experience to demonstrate skills on a college resume or application.
- Training in leadership skills: Machonikim (participants in the Machon program) will participate in programming to develop leadership skills. Topics will include homesickness, camper inclusion, how to identify and prevent bullying, development of camper listening skills, health and safety, and how to lead Jewish programming. Training is designed to support Machonikim as they transition from camper to staff member.
- Hands-on leadership experience and opportunities to build relationships and serve as role models for younger campers as junior counselors and teen leaders.
- Training in teaching skills: Machonikim will learn to plan for chugim, assist in workshops and chugim, and lead large group activities. They will work closely with our counselors, instructors, and leadership team who will support and mentor them through this process.
- Fun and educational trips and social activities: Machonikim will accompany campers on our unique trip day experiences, and will also participate in their own trip experience as a group. Machonikim will also have some fun off-camp outings of their own. Many times throughout the summer, Machonikim will participate in social activities (free time, evening programs, etc.) to help them build a sense of community with their fellow Machonikim.
East: Program Info & Dates
Program Dates: June 28 - July 26 (with the option to extend until August 9).
Eligibility: Participants must be entering 12th grade in the fall of 2020.
Application Timeline: Application for Summer 2020 will be opening in mid-December 2019. Application deadline will be Jan 10, 2020
Questions/Moving forward: If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please email email@example.com or call our offices at (857) 246-8677.