At URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, we create experiences that allow our campers and now teens to grow through science inquiry, Jewish discovery, leadership and fun. Machon means “Foundation” as well as “Institute,” giving our teens the opportunity to gain the necessary skills to become staff members who can facilitate, teach, and be effective camp counselors.
Machon is for teens entering 12th grade and is designed to offer a fun summer-camp experience while teaching life lessons about leadership, personal responsibility, science and technology, and Jewish values. The program’s goals are to create opportunities for personal and professional growth, provide hands on experience in leadership and S.T.E.M. skill building, offer a meaningful transition from “camper” to “staff member”, to have a positive and rewarding summer, give back to the 6 Points Sci-Tech community, and impact camp in a meaningful way. The CIT program’s focus will be in three main areas: training, leadership, and entrepreneurial/innovation.
Elements of the Machon Program
- Training in counseling skills— Machonikim (participants in the Machon program) will participate in programming to develop counseling skills. Training is designed to support Machonikim as they transition from camper to staff member. Topics will include:
- Camper inclusion
- How to identify and prevent bullying
- Development of camper listening skills
- Health and safety
- How to lead Jewish programming
- Hands on counselor experience and opportunities to build relationships and serve as role models for younger campers.
- Training in teaching skills: Machonikim will learn to plan for chugim, assist in workshops and chugim, and lead large group activities. They will work closely with our counselors, instructors, and leadership team who will support and mentor them through this process.
- Jewish Leadership: Machonikim will meet with staff and educational faculty to explore essential questions in Judaism and wrestle with the connections that can be found between science and Judaism. Teens will also gain a deeper understanding of social issues in science and technology, and our commitment as Jews to Tikkun Olam, repairing the world.
- Learning from Jewish and scientific innovators: Each summer we have leadership staff, faculty, and special guests who bring a wealth of knowledge in science, Judaism and innovation to our community. Machonikim will have special opportunities to meet with these leaders and learn about their unique knowledge-base and skillsets. These guests along with our staff will help guide our teens to understand the opportunities in STEM, as they think about their next steps beyond their high school years. As part of the program, teens will also be guided to think about how to use their camp experience to demonstrate skills on a college resume or application.
- Machonikim will accompany campers on our unique trip day experiences, and will also participate in their own trip experience as a group. Machonikim will also have some fun off-camp outings of their own.
- Social Activities: Many times throughout the summer, Machonikim will participate in social activities (free time, evening programs, etc.)
East: Program Info & Dates
Program Dates: Sunday, June 24 - Sunday, July 22* during 1st and 2nd session
*Machon have the option to continue on during third session as an assistant counselor
Eligibility: Participants must be entering 12th grade in the fall of 2018.
Application Deadline: Friday, January 12
Questions/Moving forward: If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our offices.