What is Pi Day???
Happy Pi Day! 🎉 Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π (Pi). Pi Day is observed on March 14 (3/14 in the month/day date format) since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant digits of π! In addition to celebrating the mathematical constant of π (3.14) it’s also the day of Sci-Tech’s annual giving campaign and this year we’re aiming to raise at least $15,000 to ensure that Sci-Tech Academy stays a constant in the lives of our amazing campers!
This year, your contribution will help us meet a matching grant from our community supporters AND from the Harold Grinspoon All Together Now Grant! All contributions made will be matched $1.50 for every dollar donated up to $15,000! After $15,000, donations are matched 50 cents for every dollar donated!
It’s like Giving Tuesday, but with dessert! And math! Can you pi-tch in?
How can you help celebrate Pi Day in 2021?
- Give a gift and donate to camp on or before March 14th, 2021!All contributions to Pi Day will be matched $1.50 for every dollar donated up to $15,000! After $15,000, donations are matched 50 cents for every dollar donated.
- Join us for a Pi Day Edition of “Will It Smush?”, a virtual camp classic led by Devon Barker! On Saturday, March 13th at 5:00 PM ET Devon Barker (Senior Lead Instructor) will help us celebrate the end of Shabbat with car smushing experiments involving Pi(e) followed by Jesse Herrnson (camper alum and 2021 staff member) leading us in a sweet Havdalah! Register online at www.6PointsSciTech.org/WillItSmush/!
- Bake a Pizza Pi(e) with your family with the expert instruction of our Virtual Academy Food Science leader, Jon Ross! On Sunday, March 14th at 5:00 PM ET celebrate Pi Day with your family by making your own Pizza Pi(e) for dinner! This will be a fun, healthy, edible (and scientific) treat combined with math puns and pi-themed puzzles! The event is free with a suggested donation. Register online at https://donate.reformjudaism.org/pizzapi.
- Share your love of Pi and Sci-Tech with social media during the week of March 9th –13th leading up to Pi Day on March 14th! Be sure to tag us on Instagram and Facebook (@URJSciTechEast) and use the hashtag #6PointsPiDay! Don’t forget to wear your Sci-Tech swag!
- Encourage your friends and family to participate too!
Why celebrate Pi Day?
Pi Day is foremost a celebration of mathematics and a recognition of the importance of STEM studies in today’s world. But it is more than just math. Did you know that within the digits of Pi is a history of the Jewish people? It’s true! For example:
- The number Chai (18) is first found at the 424th digit of Pi.
- The number of mitzvot in the Torah (613) is first found at the 970th digit of Pi.
- The year of the founding of Israel (1948) is found at the 24,868th digit of Pi.
Give the Gift of Camp
As part of our Pi Day celebration, donate to Sci-Tech. In the past two years, with the generosity and support of our Sci-Tech community, we were able to provide over $70,000 in scholarships to our campers through our General Operating Fund. On this Pi Day, please consider making your donation of your favorite multiple of Pi! Pi might be an irrational number, but the effect you can have this Pi Day is as real as can be! We hope that we can count on you to support us in creating the perfect recipe for success.