What are the factors that informed the decision to cancel in-person programming for the summer?
We have been in deep conversation with local, regional, and federal medical authorities, and many leaders in camping. While we have continued to plan, prepare, pray, and hope for another transformative summer at camp, the risks posed by COVID-19 threaten our most sacred value – the health and well-being of our community. Ultimately, there are too many known and unknown risks for us to create an acceptable pathway forward for this summer. These risks also compromise our ability to provide the excellence in programming and participant care that are hallmarks of our camp.
Is it possible that camp could open later than expected? Could we still have camp for part of the summer?
If new information emerges at any point and we can re-evaluate the potential for in-person gatherings, we will do so as a top priority.
When will summer 2021 registration open? Should we expect the summer to be different?
Decisions about when 2021 registration is opening will be made in the coming months after we have managed the 2020 logistics with our camp families. We want to stay true to the program you have come to know and love – and that ensures maintaining our commitment to health, safety, and program excellence. We don’t know yet what the new realities created by COVID-19 could mean for the fall and beyond, but we are doing everything we can to be ready to open registration as usual.
Section 2: Supporting Camp
How can I help camp at this time?
Thank you for asking this question – we are moved by your support! We made the decision to cancel in-person activities at camp this year based on our values, and with the health and safety of our campers and staff as our top priority. It is important for us to share, too, that the financial ramifications of this decision today and looking forward are significant.
We know that might cause questions about what this news means for camp and what it means for you in terms of tuition that you’ve already paid. Right now, we are focusing on supporting our campers and families in processing this news. We will follow-up with more details along with opportunities to support one another and camp through this unprecedented moment. You’ll be able to choose from several options on how to handle your tuition, including the options to make a donation that will be generously matched by the Harold Grinspoon Foundation, credit fees paid for use on future URJ programs, or receive a refund.
Section 3: Supporting Our Campers
How can I support my camper at this time?
Camp’s closure this summer is devastating for campers, families, and our whole community. We encourage you to talk to your kids about this and to let them express their feelings. We have some resources on our website that can help inform your approach. Here are a few guiding principles to consider:
- Be empathetic and understanding
- Encourage them to connect with their camp friends daily, and participate in virtual experiences with them this summer
- It might take your child a few days to process the news – they might not want to talk right away, but let them know you’re there if and when they’re ready
- Let us know if we can be of assistance helping your camper adjust to this new reality.
Section 4: Summer Offerings
Is there anything you are offering if camp is canceled this summer?
We have been running virtual programming for several weeks now. I hope your family has participated in and enjoyed these opportunities. We are going to be sharing new opportunities to connect virtually this summer. Stay tuned for updates in the coming weeks.
As we work on planning additional virtual camp programming for this summer, let us know your family would enjoy and find meaningful.
Section 5: Camp Fees & Refunds
What about my camp fees that I’ve paid for the summer?
Families have a choice for how to handle fees they’ve already paid for this summer:
- Turn your tuition into a charitable donation that will be generously matched by the Harold Grinspoon Foundation
- Credit fees paid for use on a future URJ program
- Receive a refund
Next week, a member of your family will receive a form to complete with your preferred choice.
Section 6: Transferring Enrollment
How do we transfer our enrollment to next year? Will we pay 2020 rates?
Families have a choice to forward 2020 program registration fees paid for future use. Decisions about when 2021 registration is officially opening will be made in the coming months after we have managed the 2020 logistics with all of our camp families.
We want to stay true to the program you have come to know and love – and that ensures maintaining our commitment to health, safety, and program excellence. We don’t know yet what the new realities created by COVID-19 could mean for the fall and beyond, but we are doing everything we can to be ready to open registration as usual.